20 day Clean Eating Challenge
1. You workout 5-6 days a week, depending on your program. Aim for alternating days of cardio and resistance training.
2. You eat clean throughout the week and get ONE CHEAT MEAL per week.
3. Check in daily on the event page on Facebook.
4. You have until Monday morning to take your pictures and measurements. You do not have to post them, but make sure you do this! You don't want to miss this!
1. Your body needs 4-6 small meals per day (i.e. breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner). You should be eating every 2-3 hours.
2. You need to eat at least 1,200 calories a day. This is a clean eating challenge, not a starvation challenge!
3. Try to keep your diet balanced between protein, fat and carbs. Limiting your carbs and fat will help you lose weight and lean out quicker. Don't think you can eat Refried Beans all day and have a healthy and clean diet! : ) For example-breakfast may consist of egg whites (protein) with chopped tomato and green onion added at the end, turkey bacon (protein, fat) and low-fat no sugar yogurt (protein, fat, carb) with raspberries (carb). This equals 2 carbs, 3 proteins, 2 fats.
4. Do not salt your food! Do not add sugar to your coffee. No soda, diet or otherwise! Drink at least 64 oz of water daily!
Addendum: Shakeology, Recovery drink, protein supplements, coffee, natural peanut butter, almond milk, ground turkey and chicken breast are allowed. Turkey bacon and extra lean (96%) ground beef are allowed sparingly (1-2 times a week).
You will need to create a food journal so you know how many calories/fat/carbohydrates
Some good websites for healthy recipes are http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/, http://www.fitness.com/, http://www.allrecipes.com/ (they have a "healthy" section).
I recommend to plan out your meals for the week and spend one afternoon prepping a lot of that food. I cook several chicken breasts (bake at 350 deg for 25-30 min) and those last the week for my sandwiches and salads. I also make a homemade soup and that will feed me for 2 dinners and 2 lunches. This will make your life MUCH easier if you devote a few hours one day a week to prep what you can in advance. I like to use seasonings like Mrs Dash as well as herbs (basil, rosemary, tomato, green onion, garlic, etc...) on my chicken and fish to add some flavor.
A food scale is a necessity! You will see that we severly UNDER estimate our portion sizes. Once you start weighing your portions, you will see!
If you are on a nutrition plan for your workout program, you may want to stick with that and participate since that is still clean eating!
If you tend to be obsessive with challenges, this may not be for you.